AF selects 2019 winner of Gen. Mark A. Welsh One Air Force Award
By Katherine C. Gandara, AFOTEC Public Affairs, News
/ Published May 03, 2019
KIRTLAND AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. --
Air Force officials recently named the Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center Cyber Blue Book Total Force Team, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., as the winner of the 2019 Gen. Mark A. Welsh III One Air Force Award.
The award is given for mission success achieved by a team made up of two or more Total Force components. It recognizes the team that best demonstrates improved effectiveness, operational readiness or mission accomplishment through integrated solutions.
“The AFOTEC Cyber Blue Book Team leveraged Air Reserve Component, Air National Guard, active duty and civilian cyber experts from multiple units nation-wide and created one Total Force team to protect national assets,” said Maj. General Michael T. Brewer, AFOTEC Commander.
The team completed cyber vulnerability assessments and documented hundreds of potential vulnerabilities affecting 11 critical weapon systems valued at more than $500 billion. Additionally, the team provided detailed cyber analysis for integration into developmental and operational test activities.
“The team’s final reports are distributed across the Air Force enterprise and effectively increase the resiliency of Air, Space, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Global Strike, and Command and Control core weapon systems,” said General Brewer. “Looking to the future, we are actively teaming with multiple partners to combine multiple cyber vulnerability assessment approaches into a single recognized methodology. This streamlining of process and products should provide savings and more importantly deliver a more robust cyber vulnerability assessment. This award winning team is leading the charge for this effort.”
AFOTEC’s Cyber Blue Book Total Force Team includes:
- Lt. Col. Frank DiBonaventuro - AFOTEC Detachment 2, Eglin AFB, Fla. (Air Reserve Component)
- Lt. Col. Shawn Dickman – Joint Chiefs of Staff J6 (ARC)
- Maj. Kristen Hobbs – Air Force Life Cycle Management Center (ARC)
- Maj. Ikaika Ramos - AFOTEC Detachment 4, Peterson AFB, Colo. (active duty)
- Capt. Oscar Buendia - AFOTEC Detachment 4, Peterson AFB, Colo. (AD)
- Capt. Jade Clarice - AFOTEC Detachment 4, Peterson AFB, Colo. (ARC)
- Capt. Joshua Vaughan - AFOTEC Detachment 5, Edwards AFB, Calif. (AD)
- 2nd Lt. Casen Askew - AFOTEC Detachment 2, Eglin AFB, Fla. (AD)
- 1st Lt. Justin Cornwell - AFOTEC Detachment 5, Edwards AFB, Calif. (AD)
- 1st Lt. Adam Harris - AFOTEC Detachment 6, Nellis AFB, Nev. (AD)
- 1st Lt. Jesse Opena - AFOTEC Detachment 5, Edwards AFB, Calif. (AD)
- 1st Lt. Jesse Starkey - AFOTEC Detachment 2, Eglin AFB, Fla. (AD)
- SMSgt. Sharron Wynn - AFOTEC Detachment 6, Nellis AFB, Nev. (AD)
AFOTEC is a direct reporting unit under Headquarters, United States Air Force. It is the Air Force’s independent test agency responsible for testing and evaluating new capabilities, in operationally realistic environments, to inform warfighters and influence national resource decisions.